Re: [Texmacs-dev] major barrier to adoption

From: Henri Lesourd
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] major barrier to adoption
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:50:01 +0100

Jeremy Henty wrote:

On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 12:59:45PM +0100, Henri Lesourd wrote:

What   happened  is   that  Joris   separated  completely   the  C++
GUI/widget-related code ...
[snip]
Now I  am implementing the Qt  port of the TeXmacs  GUI library, and
Massimiliano is tackling the task of porting the GUI to Mac OS.
[snip]
At  this point,  other contributors  will be  welcomed to  write any
other implementation of the GUI, using any toolkit they want.

Thanks  for the  summary.   It's good  to  see such  good progress  on
modernising the TeXmacs GUI.

Since the user survey we did more than one
year ago, we knew that it *must* be done at
some point : we cannot spend our whole life
running a clumsy interface only under Linux.

For example, all my (math) students are
using laptops preloaded with Vista, or
are buying Macs. We guessed recently that
as a matter of fact, probably around 80%
of our potential user base is not working
under a flavor of UNIX, and since then,
the situation showed no sign of a real
change.

Thus, as once said the prophet : if the