Re: [Texmacs-dev] hungarian translation updated

From: Magyarkuti, Gyula
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] hungarian translation updated
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 09:48:58 +0200

Hi Joris,
as we discussed the hack of style files was unavoidable to tailor
TeXmacs for the Hungarian language rules.
I think I found every significant part of it. I am going to summarize
the changes now.

1.
The most simple of these is to fix the file english-hungarian.scm.
Somehow the word proposition has an inaccurate translation. The everyday use of
the word proposition in Hungarian is "Állítás.". The word "Propozíció"
was probably
used 60 years before.

2.
In Hungarian the expression "Chapter 1." is "1. Fejezet." Truth is
there are serious
arguments about "1. fejezet", but as far as I am concerned I prefer
the capitalized version.
The file entitled section-book.ts. requires the most notable modifications.
I introduced a macro called text-num-hu.
The code is as follows.

<assign|text-num-hu|<macro|text|num|<if|<equal|<value|language>|hungarian>|<arg|num>
<arg|text>|<arg|text> <arg|num>>>>

Thus text-num-hu changes the two arguments if the selected language is
Hungarian,
otherwise just outputs in the order given before.
>From here every output of <chapter-text> <the-chapter> will be substituted with
<text-num-hu|<chapter-text>|<the-chapter>.>
These are the macros chapter-numbered-title and appendix-numbered-title.
The hacked codes are as follows:

<assign|chapter-numbered-title|<macro|title|<style-with|src-compact|none|<chapter-title|<text-num-hu|<chapter-text>|<the-chapter>.><vspace|1fn><new-line><arg|title>>>>>

<assign|appendix-numbered-title|<macro|title|<style-with|src-compact|none|<chapter-title|<text-num-hu|<appendix-text>|<the-appendix>.><vspace|1fn><new-line><arg|title>>>>>

It is not the end of the story because there are styles files where
the above macros are
redefined. In this case we should follow the above method again, for example in
the style file tmbook.ts:
<assign|chapter-numbered-title|<macro|title|<style-with|src-compact|none|<chapter-long-title|<text-num-hu|<chapter-text>|<the-chapter>.>
|<arg|title>>>>>
and
<assign|appendix-numbered-title|<macro|title|<style-with|src-compact|none|<chapter-long-title|<text-num-hu|<appendix-text>|<the-appendix>.>
|<arg|title>>>>>

The macro part-numbered-title becomes the following, not unlike our
above examples:

<assign|part-numbered-title|<macro|name|<part-title-sub|<style-with|src-compact|none|<htab|0fn><text-num-hu|<part-text>|<the-part>.><htab|0fn><vspace|0.1pag><new-line><htab|0fn><arg|name><htab|0fn>>>>>

3.
"Theorem 1.2.3." is "1.2.3. Tétel." in Hungarian. Confessing again perhaps
"1.2.3. tétel.", but I tend to like the capitalized version better. This also
stands for all theorem-like environments as proposition, definition,
..., including
figure. It is coded more deeply the advantage of which is that we should not
change it in so many files.
The file env-base.ts includes the modifications. In the definition of
macro new-env
the macros theorem-numbered, definition-numbered etc have changed to:
<assign|<unquote|<merge|<arg|env>|-numbered>>|<macro|text|num|<text-num-hu|<arg|text>|<arg|num>>>>

Similar changes have been done in the definition of macro new-figure.

I am sure that somebody can find further small incompatibilities, but
personally I am completely
satisfied using the mentioned modifications. I attach the files
helping the Hungarian writing
TeXmacs funs.
:)

The integration these ideas into the core styles file can be a new
project too. As far as I googled the
Hungarian language is the only one of the localized languages having
these properties.

Very Best!

/Gyula

The files attached:
 $HOME$/.TeXmacs/packages/environment/env-base.ts
 $HOME$/.TeXmacs/packages/section/section-book.ts
 $HOME$/.TeXmacs/styles/tmbook.ts

/Gyula