Re: [Texmacs-dev] memory leak

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] memory leak
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 12:57:09 +0100

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 12:27:33PM +0100, Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 12:07:18PM +0100, Gubinelli Massimiliano wrote:
> > The same happens (at a lower rate) with Cocoa. After a minute of idle
> > texmacs I get the following  (4kb of 16 byte blocks allocated in the
> > meanwhile):
>
> Notice that 4kb is not very much. I have the impression that there is
> a much more severe leak around when you scroll down and up a non trivial
> help document.

In fact something more intricate happens: take the << reference document >>

        Help -> Manual -> Typing simple texts

I observe a 1Mb increase in memory usage when scrolling down and back up
four times. Nevertheless, it seems that the increase is due to the fact that
I don't give Guile the opportunity to call (gc). If I do this manually
(use M-X for entering scheme commands), then I need to scroll down and up
many times before the increase in memory usage continues.

In other words: it cannot be excluded that we have actually eliminated
the memory leak, but that we have the impression that it is still there,
because gc is not called sufficiently often. We can of course try to
call gc automatically every now and then.

Notice that I also tried compilation with Guile-1.4.1.
The behaviour does not change much.

Best wishes, Joris