Re: [Texmacs-dev] efficiency of improved Qt port

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] efficiency of improved Qt port
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2008 00:37:39 +0100

> Yes, more or less. You indeed have 1Mb increase in memory usage
> for every four or five iterations. Now the magic scheme command is '(gc)'
> and you will have to redo your thirty iterations before noticing
> further increase. So maybe it is just the gc which is not well synchronized.
> You may try to see whether doing a '(gc)' also solves the problem with
> the increase in memory usage during idle time.

Dunno if that changed in the past years, but when I looked at the
Guile glue, the "memory size" information was wrong for complex
objects such as trees and lists.

Typically, the size reported to Guile for a tree structure was the
size of a single node. Admittedly, it is difficult to report a
significant size, because different trees that are visible as
different objects to Guile can share common subtrees. The only way to
report the correct size for such shared structures would be to build
the entire structure as Guile objects.

This memory size information is critical to guile's garbage
collection. It lets guile know when to trigger a gc. Not reporting
correct sizes for guile-visible objects leads to systemic memory leaks
caused by insufficiently frequent garbage collection.

That might be related to what you are observing now.