Re: [Texmacs-dev] Patches: copy/paste and selection handling.

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Patches: copy/paste and selection handling.
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 15:44:56 +0000

Just for curiosity: Has anybody out there looked at these patches at all? I'm a bit surprised about the silence over this issue that I believe to be rather central to the every day user experience.

Greetings,
Norbert

Norbert Nemec wrote:
Hi there,

following the bugfix two days ago, I have now finally sat down and tried to clean out the annoyingly non-standard behavior of TeXmacs in terms of selection handling and cut-and-paste. Resulting are the three attached patches that handle mostly independent issues. Each patch has an explanation included in the header.

To begin with: I am used to the Windows/KDE/Gnome standard behavior which is very different from that of Emacs. I believe the patches in their current form will work in Emacs mode as well, but I would ask some of the true Emacs users to try these patches.

The first patch should be pretty much invisible if you don't use X11-style mouse-select-and-middle-button-paste. If you do use this, you should find the new behavior identical to that in other common editors. If you have xclipboard, klipper or any similar clipboard manager running, please check how it might interfere with the inter-program cut-and-paste.

The second patch makes selections generally non-persistent (i.e. text is unselected as soon as cursor is moved). This is the standard set by Windows and adopted by freedesktop.org (i.e. KDE, Gnome, etc.). If anybody has a good reason for supporting persistent selections, please bring it forward.

Please, test these patches thoroughly and give your feedback. This is something that will affect every user every day, so it should be polished.

Greeting,
Norbert