Re: [Texmacs-dev] Two fixes for delayed execution

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Two fixes for delayed execution
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:11:52 +0100

Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 05:27:03PM +0100, Norbert Nemec wrote:

Indeed. I guess a proper approach on Qt would be to use processEvents frequently during drawing. This does not work with the check_event gui interface, but the necessary change in the interface should be minimal.

Can this indeed be done? Max told me that somethings are also disallowed
during the painting phase in Qt. Can we process events during drawing,
or should we first return to the main loop? Long live old-fashioned GUI API's...
I just found an ancient thread about calling processEvents from paintEvent
   http://lists.trolltech.com/qt-interest/1997-08/thread00023-0.htm

This seems to suggest that it is not impossible in principle, just a bit tricky.

Another source on the web warns in principle:
http://www.kdab.net/~dfaure/conf/Malaga_AsyncProgramming/html/slide_5.html

but this might simply refer to issues like the one discussed in the thread before. As far as I see it, the main danger is that inside the TeXmacs code, one must be aware that paintEvent might still be on the stack. The whole thing certainly is tricky but I think it should be possible.

Greetings,
Norbert