[Texmacs-dev] Bug with file names with special characters + solution (QT

From: Miguel de Benito Delgado
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Bug with file names with special characters + solution (QT)
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 18:58:48 +0100

Well... more of a quick hack than a solution. There are way too many layers of string en/decoding for me to grasp right now, but changing line 301 inside qt_chooser_widget_rep::perform_dialog of qt_dialogues.cpp to read

        file = "(url-system " * scm_quote (cork_to_utf8(as_string (u))) * ")";

(i.e. reencoding the cork'ed string as utf8) and adding the necessary #include "converter.hpp" will enable TeXmacsQT to open .tm files with special chars (á,é,ü,ä,...) in their names. This wasn't working for me (SVN rev 3564).

I don't understand why, but applying the same change to the portion of the code which opens image files, a few lines above, will break it. Meaning I get a new error

TeXmacs] cannot read image file '/Users/miguel/whatever with á.jpg' in qt_image_size

 Although, by the way, I can't be sure because I can't see any images at all. All I get is a lot of

TeXmacs] warning: cannot render /Users/miguel/(blabla...)/misc/pixmaps/unknown.ps

This looks like I didn't compile ps support in or something, right? I would gladly investigate this issue further, but I'd need some help. For instance: what is the internal representation of strings? which encoding? which escaping? how does Scheme expect them to be?

Regards,
Miguel de  Benito.