[Texmacs-dev] Installing TeXmacs on Linux Smartphone

From: Peter Koepke
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Installing TeXmacs on Linux Smartphone
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 21:55:02 +0100 (CET)

Dear all,

I want to install TeXmacs on my Nokia N900 phone. The phones processor and memory are powerful enough so that they should be able to run a very decent TeXmacs. The N900's operating system is Maemo 5 which is a Linux distribution derived from Debian (http://maemo.org)

I tried to install TeXmacs according to the directions on the TeXmacs homepage: Download > Binaries

    gunzip -c TeXmacs-[version]-[your system].tar.gz | tar xvf -
    export TEXMACS_PATH=[installation directory]
    export PATH=$TEXMACS_PATH/bin:$PATH

This works OK. But when I type

    texmacs &

I get errors like
...texmacs.bin: line 1: syntax error:"(" unexpected

On my Ubuntu PC the same procedure runs fine.

Could this be a shell problem? The X Terminal of the N900 is a BusyBox v1.10.2 which seems to be an "sh"-shell. The PC has a full bash shell.

Also I installed the little Debian distribution "Easy Debian" (http://wiki.maemo.org/Easy_Debian) and got similar results. Easy Debian also has an "sh"-shell.

I would appreciate any comments and suggestions.

Best, Peter