Re: [Texmacs-dev] Shortcut for "Find next match"

From: Miguel de Benito Delgado
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Shortcut for "Find next match"
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 00:31:38 +0200

Under MacOS many applications scroll down an extra toolbar from the top where searches can be performed. Two nice little arrows and a minimalistic dropdown for options stand by its side, making everything lovely macish, oh... I like it better than the dialog because it doesn't end up in the middle of my page blocking precisely what I'm looking for.

Because of this I've just implemented a search mode using the footer which remembers what you typed. Once you know how to do it, it's no big deal, but MAN, did I sweat in the process...

I'm just using the regular text input box which is used elsewhere. It automagically remembers it's last argument so it's great for this. How this automagic works is pretty obscure at first, though. Arthur C. Clarke wrote once (something along the lines of): "good technology is indistinguishable from magic". Well... then Scheme's contorted (elegant? evil? beautiful?) ways are technology of the greatest kind.

Rants aside... I'm now faced with the problem that this new search is no longer incremental, which sucks if you are used to it. So I have to investigate how to use the footer text input in "wholly interactive" mode (i.e. return every keypress).

Help is of course welcome.
Miguel de  Benito.