Re: [Texmacs-dev] keymappings

From: Michael Lachmann
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] keymappings
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 16:29:29 +0200

Thanks for the reply!

On 9 Aug 2011, at 1:58PM, Sam Liddicott wrote:

> The R menu should be in your preferences.

You mean, in the personal init file?
So I should direct users how to add an R menu by editing their init files?
Another option is that in the menu that opens from the little monitor icon,
where you can select the R session, a whole submenu would be inserted. I don't
know if it is currently possible, or how hard that would be...

> The shortcuts could potentally be global, but I don't understand them.
>
> I don't know why you need "R1." and "R2." ...what will the shortcut "R2." do
> if you already have 2 R sessions?

R1. and R2. open two sessions. If, for example, you have a remote session on
R1., then you can start a local one with R2.
Or, if session R1 is in a long calculation, and you just quickly want to try
something. Or, if you open a second document, but don't want to mix the
calculation between the two documents.

An alternative is to have a separate session for each document. This means that
you can't easily share values between documents. The main times I use this is
when I clean up a document, or sum it up - then I open a second, cleaned
document.

Michael