Re: [Texmacs-dev] Qt Fonts

From: Aleksandr Dobkin
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Qt Fonts
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 02:09:47 -0600

Thanks for the feedback. It's great to hear some other people are
using the fonts.

Are you using the PFB files with mainline TeXmacs or the OTF files
with patched TeXmacs?

The OTF (OpenType) files are newer than the PFB (Printer Font Binary)
files and are a bit more complete.

Here is a comparison:

TeXmacs mainline
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/384906/texmacs-fonts/sample-mainline.pdf
TeXmacs mainline with PFB fonts
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/384906/texmacs-fonts/sample-mainline-pfbfonts.pdf
TeXmacs patched http://dl.dropbox.com/u/384906/texmacs-fonts/sample2.pdf

The motivation for the git fork is so to have the latest TeXmacs but
with the additional fonts and Qt font rendering. Previously, I had to
use an increasingly outdated version.

So if you are already using the patched TeXmacs with OTF files, the
fork gives access to the latest TeXmacs version but doesn't change
much else. If you are using mainline TeXmacs with the PFB files, using
the OTF files would give you a more complete character set and
improved onscreen font rendering.

I believe that the old situation is that TeXmacs had to rasterize
fonts into bitmaps before it could show them onscreen. It had to do
this separately for each point size. This operation happens at
start-up and can take a long time. The Qt version should not need to
do this at all. As far as displaying things on screen, Qt may be
faster but it will not likely make a huge difference because the
number of characters that are displayed onscreen at any time stays
constant even as the document size grows. If you are using Linux, you
may want to try -graphicssystem raster. I think there are optimization
that can be made with regard to the rendering as a whole that can help
improve performance, but I haven't made any such changes.

In my experience TeXmacs is generally very speedy. If you have a
specific specimen that you can post, I think it would be helpful.

Alex