[Texmacs-dev] arguments to sessions

From: Michael Lachmann
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] arguments to sessions
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 12:17:11 +0200

Hi,

As I mentioned a couple of times before, it is convenient for me to
have several different R sessions in a document - for example, one for
the local host, and one for a remote host.
I haven't managed to make it work well, yet.

What I do now is that I defined:
(kbd-map ("R 2 ."
    (setenv "TEXMACS_R_SESSION" "bionc02")
    (setenv "TEXMACS_CMD" "ssh -t bionc02 R")
    (make-session "r" "default2")
))

Then I press 'R2.', and get an R session on a remote host.
The R interface tm_r knows to read the environment variables
TEXMACS_R_SESSION and TEXMACS_CMD
This works nicely. Except when I exit and load the document. Because
the arguments to the session
where defined by pressing some keys, the session knows nothing about
it, so when I enter that session,
a new session, without these environment variables is started.

Now, I know that this is not the right way to do it.. I just haven't
found a good way to send arguments to a session.

One suggestion is the following:
What if a session can have an environment variable called something
like "session-env" or some such, and when a session
starts, this environment variable is put in a system environment
variable TEXMACS_SESSION_ARG or something like that.
This way program interfaces would have an easy way to store data for a
certain session.

If this looks ok, I could try to code it.

Michael

Michael

--

Michael Lachmann, Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology
Deutscher Platz 6, 04107 Leipzig, Germany.