Re: [Texmacs-dev] a bug when "convert utf8 to LaTeX", and potential fix

From: François Poulain
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] a bug when "convert utf8 to LaTeX", and potential fix
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 10:30:34 +0200

Hi,

[I didn't took time to check this, I will do it in the present week].

Le Mon, 30 Sep 2013 15:12:21 +0800,
jiazhaoconga <address@hidden> a écrit :

> Ok, status update:
> Because of some bugs in trunk version, I switch back to 1.0.7.20,
> and by accident I do not apply my patch above, but I can export
> Chinese to latex successfully.
>
> But when I use a fresh ~/.TeXmacs, the bug comes back. After bisect
> files under ~/.TeXmacs, I found `("texmacs->latex:encoding" "utf-8")`
> in ~/.TeXmacs/system/preferences.scm is key here. When I have this
> line, everything is OK. When I don't have this line, which is the
> fresh install situation,
> I can not export properly.

Ok. It's in fact a "western user" centred feature : most of scientific
papers being written in english, we don't enable utf-8 by default.
This is because making non-ascii TeX document may leads to complication
for users to share their documents, if they don't use the same default
charset. And people don't want to risk to share a miscoded document,
only because they have a non-ascii character in their name (or
something like that).

However, I don't know how to produce eastern (I mean, Chinese, Korean
and Japanese) character in ascii within LaTeX. I guess it is not
possible (but it is possible for a long time with Cyrillic, btw).

So, I think a good fix may be export document in utf-8 by default for
eastern languages. It is quite easy to do.

François

PS: don't hesitate to complains about TeXmacs internationalization.
Your expertise is precious for us. :)

--
François Poulain <address@hidden>