[Texmacs-dev] Paragraphsign in PDF outlines

From: Karl Hegbloom
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Paragraphsign in PDF outlines
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 17:56:44 +0000

I've got a document style sheet that puts the paragraphsign  ¶  in front of the paragraph number. It shows up fine in the document, both at the start of the paragraph and in the table of contents, but in the PDF outlines, it shows up as  ű.

If I then run the command:

pdftk inputfile.pdf dump_data_utf8  | sed -r -e 's,ű,¶,g'  | pdftk inputfile.pdf update_info_utf8 - output outputfile.pdf

... the resulting PDF has the paragraphsign in the outlines the way it's supposed to. I guess if I actually used that thing that looks like a u with a double quote above it in the text of the document in any section or paragraph headings, there would be paragraph signs instead of that letter there, which would not be correct.

Because PDF accepts that character fine when I run that sed filter, I suspect that the problem is somewhere in TeXmacs, in how it translates the text from it's internal coding to the one in the PDF.

It seems to me that it used to work fine. It might be something that broke with one of the recent changes to the PDF writer, but I'm not certain. I've not used that paragraphsign prefixed paragraph numbering much yet.

Any idea how to fix it?