Re: [Texmacs-dev] Building TeXmacs on Ubuntu 16.04

From: Marduk Bolaños
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Building TeXmacs on Ubuntu 16.04
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 07:42:29 +0000

I just built TeXmacs on Ubuntu 16.04.

You are right. TeXmacs 1.99.5 segfaults when closing any dialog
window. And I got the same problem as you when trying to compile it.

What I did is compile the svn version. It works great.

You may need to install Qt4

sudo apt install libqt4-dev

sudo apt install subversion

svn co svn://svn.savannah.gnu.org/texmacs/trunk/src $HOME/Downloads/TeXmacs-svn

cd $HOME/Downloads/TeXmacs-svn

./configure

make

Then I created a symlink for the TeXmacs directory

ln -s `realpath TeXmacs` $HOME/bin/TeXmacs

That way you can update the source, recompile and keep working.

I created the following launcher script in $HOME/bin (do not forget to
chmod +x it)

texmacs-launcher

#!/usr/bin/env bash

export TEXMACS_PATH=$HOME/bin/TeXmacs
export PATH=$TEXMACS_PATH/bin:$PATH

$TEXMACS_PATH/bin/texmacs

And I created an XDG launcher in $HOME/.local/share/applications/

texmacs.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=TeXmacs
Exec=/home/marduk/bin/texmacs-launcher
Icon=/home/marduk/bin/TeXmacs/misc/images/TeXmacs.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application

Enjoy!