[Texmacs-dev] Multiple "git svn" mirrors of texmacs on github, problems.

From: Karl Hegbloom
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Multiple "git svn" mirrors of texmacs on github, problems...?
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 21:59:32 +0000

I'm fairly new with using git and github, and did not think of this sooner... Both Darcy Shen (@sadhen) and I (@KarlHegbloom) have put mirrors of the primary subversion repository---which is maintained by TeXmacs primary author, Joris van der Hoeven---up on github, to facilitate patch sharing, and to try and promote the use of git, perhaps.

The problem is that instead of there being one initial git repository that was then cloned, we've each begun a separate repository, cloned via "git svn", maintained via "git svn rebase" on the svn trunk "vendor tracking" branch. And so when I add a git remote for sadhen-github and then fetch, it tells me that there are no common commits!

Despite that, most of the file blobs are pretty much the same, I guess... It did not really download as much data as I was afraid it would. Despite that the git commit objects are not the same---they have different SHA1 because of something to do with how git svn works, I suppose---the file blobs are the same from one svn version to the next and so the git file blobs are also eq with identical SHA1 in both @sadhen and my github repository.

I don't know that it really matters, since a git diff of my svn-trunk with @sadhen's master---the names of the branches that track svn with no other modifications---is an empty diff. So we can still work with this, I think.

Another benefit of having them clone from the same base git repository is that then github keeps track of that, and links them more usefully, for the pull-request functionality, etc.

If there is an official TeXmacs/texmacs.git available on github, then we can clone from that. I wonder if the svn repo can be configured to automatically cause a git svn rebase to happen, followed by a git push to send it up to github? Or that could be running as a daily or twice daily job on any computer that is always on... I wonder if github can automatically keep a svn to git mirror up to date? I think Launchpad can, but I'm not certain.

blah blah blah blah... :-)

--

address@hidden