Re: [Texmacs-dev] My Development on GNU TeXmacs from 2020/01 to 2020/03

From: Darcy Shen
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] My Development on GNU TeXmacs from 2020/01 to 2020/03 (sadhen)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2020 01:21:23 +0800

## Happy Spring Festival
I am enjoying my Spring Festival vocation (2020-01-24 ~ 2020-01-30) in China. I have plenty of time to make significant changes
for the syntax highlighter.

## Keyword and Operator Parser

I have made a Pull Request to simplify the Java/Scala language parser using keyword_parser and operator_parser.

I need to know if it is a good attempt. If it is, I'd like to rewrite other existing parser using the keyword_parser and operator_parser.

And after I have completed the keyword parser and operator parser.

## Parsers that cover multi lines

I will move on designing another parser. Current parsers under src/Data/Parser only work under the current line.

But for the not-yet-implemented string_parser and multi_line_comment_parser, I still need to propose a proper abstraction.

## New Languages
After the completion of the string_parser and multi_line_comment_parser, I'd like to add new languages for TeXmacs.

Here is the list:
+ _javascript_
+ Rust
+ Go
+ Markdown
+ LaTeX
+ Graphviz
+ Maxima

The syntax highlighter for the first three new programming languages is easy. These should be almost the same with existing
C++/Java/Python syntax highlighter.

Once we add these new languages, we should a preference to customize the menu. Let the user choose the interested languages
and we should only show the interested languages in the menu. Otherwise, the menu entries will be too long to choose quickly.

---- On Sat, 2020-01-11 14:49:55 Darcy Shen via Texmacs-dev <address@hidden> wrote ----

## Graph Plugins

1. Graphviz plugin

   + Syntax Highlight

   + Tab completion

2. Tikz plugin (a brand new plugin)

    + tikz-cd support (https://github.com/astoff/tikz-cd)

    + Syntax Highlight

    + Tab highlight

## New Language Support

1. Add other popular languages: _javascript_, Rust, Go, Markdown, LaTeX,
Graphviz, Maxima

2. Improve the menu of languages (Users may customize the most used
languages in the preference)

## Bug Fixes and Documentation

Before the release of GNU TeXmacs 2.1, I will focus on bug fixes. If I
made a big or significant changes,

I will submit a patch here:
https://savannah.gnu.org/patch/?group=texmacs , and then send a email

to the address@hidden mail list.

Documentation is important for both users and developers. I am willing
to write more documents for

developers. From TeXmacs 1.99.11 to 1.99.12, I have written about how to
write a plugin using Python.