Re: [Texmacs-dev] [address@hidden: [gnu-prog-discuss] GSoC 2020: The GNU

From: Massimiliano Gubinelli
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] [address@hidden: [gnu-prog-discuss] GSoC 2020: The GNU Project has been accepted as a mentor organization!]
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 16:36:48 +0100

The plans seems good to me.

Maybe you can foward them to GNU to include in the GSoC campain

https://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/guidelines.html

Some remarks/improvements/suggestions:

1) bibliographic tools: connection with Zotero would be nice to have. I
personally use it and is a free bibliographic tool with a wide user base.

2) Port to scheme 2-3 is done :) I'm doing the last tuning but essentially
(from yesterday) I have a version of TeXmacs which works with Guile 3 both in
interpreted and compiled mode. So I would remove this from the tasks.

3) It would be very important to us to have a nice and polished interface to
jupyter kernels. So this task can be made more prominent. You can hint to the
fact that we have already a bare-bones jupyter client plugin.

4) GUI. Qt5 port is almost ready, we wait Joris to release TeXmacs 2.1.  Here I
see the possibility to develop other ports like to Cocoa  or a native Windows
port. More generally would be interesting to have a common way to interface
TeXmacs with modern GUI APIs.

5) An Haiku port of TeXmacs. www.haiku-os.com is a very intersting operating
system and also on GSoC this year.

6) Write documentation/ tutorials.

7)  A nice feature to have is a preview on links: when the cursor hovers a link
a window is opened which renders a portion of area around the place the link
points to. It is useful to check references/

8) In general references in TeXmacs could have some love: we lack now the
ability to search for all occurences of a reference or replace them. This could
be improved.

Best Max