[Texmacs-dev] Delay affecting typing experience of TeXmacs

From: Joy Yang
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Delay affecting typing experience of TeXmacs
Date: Fri, 29 May 2020 00:39:31 +0800

Hi TeXmacs developers,

I have been troubled by the laggy feedback of the default TeXmacs for quite some time. During typing, I can feel the lag between each key stroke and the corresponding font or formula appearing on screen. Mostly due to one line of code under the if branch postpone_treatment.

I try to understand the meaning of the variable postpone_treatment, which is determined by two static variables keyboard_event and keyboard_special.

When I print out these two variables while typing letter one by one into TeXmacs, I can see that “1" and “0" printed out, which constantly triggers postpone_treatment to be true. And a simple modification of changing 100 -> 1000, I observe worse lag, whereas changing 100 -> 0, I get perfectly fine typing experience.

One side note, I have looked it up in the mailing lists and I can find one relevant topics here, but I don’t find any follow-up.

Best regards,
Joy