Re: [Texmacs-dev] Overwriting definitions with tm-define

From: TeXmacs
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Overwriting definitions with tm-define
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 12:45:39 +0100

Hi,

Not all scheme functions were defined using tm-define.
The function 'translate' is defined in the glue, so it cannot be tm-overloaded.

Functions that _are_ defined using tm-define can perfectly be overloaded to
take a different number of parameters.  For instance, kbd-return takes zero
arguments,
but you can overload it as follows:

  (tm-define (kbd-return . args)
    (:require (nnull? args))
    (display* "kbd-return " args "\n"))

What you cannot do is "overload" it like this:

  (tm-define (kbd-return arg)
    (display* "kbd-return " arg "\n"))

because that is really a redefinition instead of overloading a previous
definition.
Overloaded definitions usually come with a ':require' or ':mode' clause,
or with an explicit call of the 'former' primitive:

  (tm-define (kbd-return . args)
    (if (null? args) (former)
        (display* "kbd-return " args "\n")))

If you want to overload a function that was not defined using 'tm-define'
then you can proceed as follows:

  (define built-in-translate translate)

  (tm-define (translate . args)
    (if (== (length args) 1)
        (apply built-in-translate args)
        (apply my-own-translate args)))

I do not think that we need a separate primitive for overloaded definitions
(as Max suggests).  On the other hand, we might want to use different scoping
rules in the future.  We might also automatically consider a tm-define
with a fixed number of arguments as overloading potential previous definitions
with different numbers of arguments.  Maybe that was what Giovanni was
expecting.

Best wishes, --Joris