tiger-devel

[Tiger-devel] [RFC] New check_path module.

From: Ryan Bradetich
Subject: [Tiger-devel] [RFC] New check_path module.
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 00:33:13 -0600

Hello all,

I have tried a different approach for the check_path module that
attempts to parse the PATH environment variable.  I looked into this
module because I noticed the PATH was not properly parsed on HP-UX as
shown below (both modules were run with on the same system on the root
user):

check_path (old):

DIR:  /bin
DIR:  /usr/bin
DIR:  /usr/sbin

check_path (new):

DIR: /opt/fcms/bin
DIR: /opt/graphics/common/bin
DIR: /opt/hparray/bin
DIR: /opt/nettladm/bin
DIR: /opt/pb/bin
DIR: /opt/pd/bin
DIR: /opt/perf/bin
DIR: /opt/perl/bin
DIR: /opt/pwplus/bin
DIR: /opt/resmon/bin
DIR: /opt/scr/bin
DIR: /opt/sec_mgmt/bastille/bin
DIR: /opt/socks/bin
DIR: /opt/upgrade/bin
DIR: /sbin
DIR: /usr/bin
DIR: /usr/bin/X11
DIR: /usr/ccs/bin
DIR: /usr/contrib/bin
DIR: /usr/contrib/bin/X11
DIR: /usr/sbin

The new check_path module deals with different methods for adding
directores to the PATH environment variable such as:

        PATH="/opt/*/bin:$HOME/bin:$(cat /etc/PATH)"

In addition to the added directory checks, I also added some additional
optimizations:

        - Only parse the system PATH's once (not once for every user).
        - Resolve directory symlinks (i.e. HP-UX has /bin -> /usr/bin).
        - Only parse directories once (i.e. handle: PATH=/bin:/bin")
        - Remove the system directories from the user's path when
parsing
the user's path (they have already been searched          once).
        - etc.

Does this look like a good approach?

P.S. This module is probably not complete, I am still working on how ton
integrate the embedded_check stuff.

Comments/patches welcome :)

Thanks,

- Ryan