tiger-user

[Tiger-user] emails & tigercron

From: alex black
Subject: [Tiger-user] emails & tigercron
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 11:12:00 -0700 (MST)

hi all,

I'm using tiger to scan a web app server config I have going - the entire
proces (including embedded paths) takes about 6 minutes so I'm doing it every
night.

Which brings me to my point: for many, tigercron is fantastic - for me, it has
not been so fantastic so I stopped using it - it does not send a complete audit
because a complete audit is never done. Given that my report process does not
take very long, I wanted soemthing that would just send me a full report with
explanations.

So, I have hacked up a cronjob that will do a full tiger run and email the
actual report file (by parsing the output from the run for the path of the
report).

Is anyone interested in this? If so, let me know and I'll happily send along a
copy (it has been a boon to me, and has made it much easier to use tiger for my
purposes). However, I must warn that YMMV: I have a very specific configuration
with a small filesystem, and I'm sure on many systems that my cronjob would
just disable the box for 4 hours while it scans itself.

Thanks for tiger, it has helped me immensely in auditing the security of my
foundation config. I believe I posted earlier about tiger.ignore, and someone
told me that the new version of tiger uses the message codes instead of the
messages themselves, which is great.

best,

_alex

--