Re: [Tinycc-devel] Greetings, and compilers/recompilers

From: Alan Grimes
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Greetings, and compilers/recompilers
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 16:10:40 GMT

> I'm a video game freak (I also own an arcade in Portland, Oregon) and
> I've
> always been fascinated by compilers. I've written a few video game
> emulators in my past, and thought it would be an interesting project
> make the jump from emulation to outright recompilation of code.

My parents are upset with me for being a video game adict and are going
to take them away. =(

> So I set out on the trek of writing a recompiler - something that
> would
> take Z80, 6502, etc... binary code and translate it back in to C.
> More to
> the point, it would optimize and generate C code.

That's an AI problem...

What you're trying to do is recover symbolic information from a raw
data stream.

I'm not sure what's up with the huge switch statement, but what most
disassemblers do is try to find common programming constructs (such as
procedures) in the code and then recover them with an arbitrary name...