Re: [Tinycc-devel] Can't compile the eiffel generated C files

From: Bernhard Fischer
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Can't compile the eiffel generated C files
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:21:07 +0200

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 12:11:14AM +0700, Lothar Scholz wrote:
>Hello tinycc-devel,
>

>>When a function is called using a prototype, the implicit argument
>>conversions are done with the same rules as assignment.  An assignment
>>of a structure pointer requires that the structures be compatible.
>>Structure compatibility requires all fields to match.  This is
>>essentially the same problem as:
>>
>>  struct x { int a; };
>>  struct y { int a; int b; };
>>
>>  struct x foo;
>>  struct y * bar;
>>  bar = &foo;        /* cast needed */
>>

>Sorry but i think this should compile nevertheless as such a case is
>well defined by the C-99 standard that it must copy the sizeof(bar)
>bytes from foo into bar.
>
>While a cast would be nice, it shouldn't be necessary.

[I'm not the maintainer or anything, but..]
.. it would be nice if you could provide a patch against
a) tcctest.c
b) tcc fixing the bug you see (including lots of comments explaining
your reasoning) including caveats).

Nowadays, fabrice is not able to/not in the situation/moot to take care
of tcc as he may (or may not) like, so please help him stripping down the
time needed for tcc as best as you see fit.

Thank you,
Bernhard