Re: [Tinycc-devel] function call crash, 64bit?

From: Dave Dodge
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] function call crash, 64bit?
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 02:26:58 -0400

On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 11:13:51PM -0700, Carl Dougan wrote:
> Does tcc have problems with 64bit?

If you're trying to use it within a 64-bit application, then that
probably would be trouble.  I think it only understands the 32-bit
ABI.

> with win+64bit+gcc?

An additional issue with Windows 64-bit code is that Windows uses the
LLP64 model, while all of the 64-bit Unix-like systems use LP64.  I
don't know if this is causing trouble for you, but it's something to
keep in mind.

> Im not even sure if the 64bit patch above is trying to
> solve the problem I have or if thats more a linux
> deal.

Glancing at the 64-bit patch, it looks like it's just making it
possible to compile tcc (in 32-bit mode) on a 64-bit Linux machine.

If you have some way of using a debugger to disassemble a running
program, you could try something like this: write a function that you
compile into the program, and then use libtcc to compile the same code
on the fly.  Then examine the object code for both functions and see
if they look like they're using registers and the stack the same way.

                                                  -Dave Dodge