Re: [Tinycc-devel] (no subject)

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] (no subject)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 17:09:44 -0400

On Friday 08 September 2006 11:44 am, Mike B wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I wasnt worried about the compiled output, altho a big issue. What im more
> interested in is the speed in which it compiles. I think it would have a
> great reception from the likes of Gentoo and others. Maybe that would boost
> its appeal and manpower =)

I'm looking for a small, simple, understandable compiler that can run quickly
in a small amount of memory.

gcc 4.x takes something like 300 megabytes of memory to rebuild itself.
There's no _way_ you can self-host it on a small embedded system like a
zaurus.  Even if you gave it a microdrive or something to swap to, it would
take days.

> Mike

Rob