Re: [Tinycc-devel] what are tcc's limitations?

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] what are tcc's limitations?
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 16:55:12 -0400

On Monday 16 October 2006 3:47 am, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 01:51:06AM -0400, Dave Dodge wrote:
> >On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 09:16:06PM +0200, Bernhard Fischer wrote:
> >> 3) tcc is a C89 compiler, for the most part. Anyone who thinks he's able
> >> to compile e.g. the kernel or other SW that peruses certain C99 features
> >> is likely to be surprised.
> >
> >The kernel isn't the best example, because Fabrice did get kernel
> >compilation working for his tccboot project:
> >
> >  http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/tcc/tccboot.html
> >
> >Admittedly that's kernel 2.4.26 with some patches to bypass a few code
> >features that tcc doesn't handle.
>
> I should have stated explicitely that i ment a current, unpatched kernel
> ;)

I'd like to get tcc to build a current unpatched kernel, but for the past
couple weeks I've been fighting with gcc to get an x86-64 cross toolchain
roughly based on Cross Linux From Scratch.  My goal is not just to get a
working cross compiler, but to have it relocatable so I can extract a tarball
into my directory, add it to my $PATH, and use it from there, with the
headers and libraries for the target in that tarball and found relative to
where the compiler binary lives.  The sad part is there's code in gcc to do
this, but they went out of their way to break it.

After a week and change of fiddling I decided the easiest way to make it work
is to make a tinygcc: rip out the "gnu compiler collection" front end crap
and put a little command line wrapper around the actual C compiler engine.

Getting this to work is taking most of my free time right now... :)

Rob
--
"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery