Re: [Tinycc-devel] autoconfiscation

From: Shawn Rutledge
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] autoconfiscation
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:12:55 -0700

On 8/26/07, Gregg Reynolds <address@hidden> wrote:
> Just found tcc/tinycc recently.  I'd like to use it under cygwin, osx,
> and opendbsd.  However, its config/make system is a little weak.  I
> had to hack it up just to get it to compile on mingw, and there are
> still problems.
>
> Anybody out there willing to help test an autotoolized version?  I've
> been doing a lot of work with autoconf and friends lately, so I'm
> thinking about giving tinycc the treatment.  This might involve a
> little bit of source code tweaking, e.g. tcc.h, and the config* and
> Makefile* stuff would be completely replaced.

I'd suggest having a look at cmake.  It seems to have worked well for
Chicken Scheme.  The  configuration is user-friendly (ncurses menus
rather than having to pass in a lot of --options to ./configure),
generation is much quicker than with autoconf, and the result is the
same - a customized platform-specific Makefile.  I suspect the reason
is that it does more of the investigation/decision-making when cmake
is built for the platform, rather than every time for every project
that you want to configure.  And most certainly does not look for a
Fortran compiler when configuring a C project.  :-)

(Disclaimer... I don't have experience writing config files for cmake.
 I tend to write makefiles by hand, for projects I have worked on so
far.  I think that is also a perfectly valid alternative.)