[Tinycc-devel] Character encoding bug in the mailing list web archive

From: Peter Lund
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 22:40:08 +0200

Hi,

I just checked the access logs for my web site, vax64.dk.

It turns out that somebody from Italy downloaded bølge-0.1.tar.gz from
my website about 8 hours ago today, presumably to have a look at the
Makefile/configuration stuff I did.

I wondered why he/she used the wrong URL at first but the explanation
turned out to be simple:  the web archive got the URL wrong!

He/she got to my site by clicking the URL found in this message:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tinycc-devel/2007-08/msg00057.html

Going back in the thread, one can see that my original message was
mangled, too:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/tinycc-devel/2007-08/msg00056.html

The URL should be http://vax64.dk/bølge, which should turn into
http://vax64.dk/b%C3%B8lge but actually ended up as
http://vax64.dk/bÃlge which gets encoded as http://vax64.dk/b%C3%B3lge,
which is just completely wrong.

I'm going to make a symlink so the wrong URL will work but really, it is
a bug in the archiving software.

-Peter