Re: [Tinycc-devel] Segmentation fault compiling jslong.c

From: Rob Landley
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Segmentation fault compiling jslong.c
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:03:02 -0500

On Wednesday 26 September 2007 2:44:25 am Dave Dodge wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 12:11:58AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> > I realize that they want to restrict their relevance as much as
> > possible, and thus have no _official_ version freely available on
> > the web.
>
> I think part of the problem is that selling copies of standards has
> long been a basic part of how groups like ANSI and ISO fund their
> operations.
>
> > I seriously hope that whatever the next version of the C standard is
> > has nothing to do with people who fail to get it that spectacularly.
>
> Some improvements have been made, slowly.  C89 eventually became
> indirectly available in hardcopy for about $40 (as part of Schildt's
> book).

I know, I read it when it came out.

> Corrigenda and Rationales are usually free.  ANSI sold a
> downloadable PDF of C99 for $18 at one point, though the current price
> on their webstore appears to be an old-school $289, ugh.  IEEE has the
> POSIX/Unix spec online and downloadable at no cost.

SUSv3:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/

You can even download it as a tarball:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/download

> I think even ISO
> has seen the light a little bit; I recall the ffmpeg folks found a way
> to download some of the MPEG standards legitimately for free (granted
> this did nothing to solve the patent-licensing issues for those
> particular standards).

I first encountered mpeg1 in the wild sometime around 1992, so the patents on
that have to be most of the way to expired by now.  Dunno about mpeg2.  If
Linux manages to take over the world (http://landley.net/next) we can start
influencing what _becomes_ a standard.  Until then...

> n1124 is the best current "free" reference for implementing C99, as it
> includes the final C99 text plus the 2001 and 2004 corrigenda.
>
>   http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG14/www/standards

*shrug*  I'm using the earlier html one.  I honestly don't care what changed,
it's close enough for me and I'll use real programs as the tiebreaker.

>                                                   -Dave Dodge

Rob
  - Ken Thompson.