Re: [Tinycc-devel] compile TCC without another compiler

From: Attila Kinali
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] compile TCC without another compiler
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 14:11:40 +0100

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 18:10:45 +0530
harish badrinath <address@hidden> wrote:

> I know this is bit of a OT question, but is it possible to compile TCC
> or any other C compiler, without any another C compiler.
>
> Suppose i have a system with busybox and a bunch of symlinks, how do i
> really (as in, in the literal sense of the word) bootstrap my system.

You dont... unless you are a hard core masochist :-)

You would have to write a C compiler and linker in assembler first.
Of course, assuming you have an assembler available.

What do you want to acheive? If it's just a theoretical question
on how this has been done before there were compilers? Then you should
read books on old computer systems and computer history from the 50s and 60s.
If you want to run tcc on an embedded system, then cross compile it on
your PC.

                        Attila Kinali

                -- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin