Re: [Tinycc-devel] tcc_relocate() and tcc_relocate_ex()

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] tcc_relocate() and tcc_relocate_ex()
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 12:32:23 +0200

Sean Conner wrote:
It was thus said that the Great Thomas Preud'homme once stated:
Indeed, I agree the commit message is not very verbose as to the reason of the change. For people interested, the said commit is 8bbde91f62291cb0383c2406ae6123be903c944b

That said, the change of API seems clearly intentional, as if 0.9.25's behavior had a fundamental problem. Thus, I'm reluctant to apply your patch right now. Grishka, could you tell us the context behind this revert?

  I don't think 0.9.25 had problems, since currently, tcc_relocate() calls
tcc_relocate_ex() (if HAVE_SELINUX is not defined).  The only thing I can
think of is that a significant amount of code expected the 0.9.24 version of
tcc_relocate() and it was easier to change 0.9.25 than to change the
existing code, but that's just conjecture on my part.

  -spc (I did try to keep the patch as simple and isloated as possible)

The reason to revert tcc_relocate was to make the libtcc_test example
look as simple as it was before.

The reason for not yet to export tcc_relocate_ex was that I wanted
to know if anyone would actually care for the 'extended' version,
i.e. to wait for someone to complain. :-)

As to the patch I think that
    +    s1->runtime_mem = NULL;
would break tcc_relocate and I don't see why you need it.

If you agree with I will push a patch to declare tcc_relocate_ex
as LIBTCCAPI and nothing else.

--- grischka