Re: [Tinycc-devel] [ RFC] About packing two infos in a long v2

From: Thomas Preud'homme
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] [ RFC] About packing two infos in a long v2
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 22:07:52 +0100

Le jeudi 15 novembre 2012 18:34:51, grischka a écrit :
> address@hidden wrote:
> > I already did a general function to store a value but I adopted a
> > different approach:
> >
> > #define put_sym_attr(s,index,field,val) \
> >
> >     alloc_sym_attr(s, index);           \
> >     s->sym_attrs[index].field = val
> >
> > where alloc_sym_attr is the old put_got_offset without the assignment
> > line at the end. See attached file for the full patch (only tested on
> > x86-64 so far, I'll try to compile it on arm later).
>
> To my taste that macro with 4 args (and omitted ';') is a too clever
> workaround to avoid letting alloc_sym_attr() return a value.

I did it because I saw this kind of macro many times.

> Compare
>       put_sym_attr(s1, sym_index, got_offset, s1->got->data_offset);
> with
>       alloc_sym_attr(s1, sym_index)->got_offset = s1->got->data_offset;
>
> Clearly the latter is better readable (since '=' is C for 'put') and
> without the additional macro your patch will be shorter which is
> what counts in the end. ;)

Two points for you. I especially appreciate the argument about following the
spirit of C (I know you didn't name it this way :)).

> Also, in general, there is always an certain ugliness with 'void'
> functions.  Thus if a function can return some useful value, then it
> should do so.  Think of 'strcpy'.  (In that sense and opposed to the
> related GCC warning it is of course not wrong not to use a return
> value.)

You're right, I never thought about void function being ugly but I see your
point.

>  > +    typeof(s1->sym_attrs) tab;
>
> Is this C?  Note that not just GCC and TCC might be used to compile
> tcc.  (E.g. more recent MS compilers from the VCExpress editions used
> to work)

I thought so but it seems I've been intoxicated by gccism. I checked the C99
standard and it's not inside. In this case it can easily be changed by void *
while still keeping sym_attrs an anonymous struct.

> Thanks,
>
> --- grischka

Tom