Re: [Tinycc-devel] Tinycc-devel Digest, Vol 129, Issue 5

From: Graham Swallow
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Tinycc-devel Digest, Vol 129, Issue 5
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2014 14:32:18 +0000

A second possibility for closed source users of LGPL,
is to provide two binaries, one statically linked,
one dynamically linked (or dlopen).

That might allow the stripping of most symbols from the main.exe
but still allowing replacement of the loaded .dll,
and additionally allowing access to the faster statically linked version.

This is less popular, when the exe has to be shoehorned into
a small DRM'd ROM, and the larger dll's wont fit.

As an aside, you could still call the entire tcc.exe an LGPL object.
This saves the confusion, of having two licences, and not saying
which file uses which.

OOPS ERRM: I was talking about the LIBRARY-LGPL,
I hate the relabelling (and new words) of the LESSER-LGPL,
which is a snob-nosed disservice to OSS, feeding FUD.
(clue in the title, or confusion in the title).

Graham