Re: [Tinycc-devel] Drop OABI and FPA from arm-gen.c

From: Thomas Preud'homme
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Drop OABI and FPA from arm-gen.c
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 21:27:49 +0800

Le mardi 11 février 2014, 00:19:11 Daniel Glöckner a écrit :
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Russel King wanted to remove the NWFPE emulator in April 2013 because
> of licensing issues, but Linus overruled him. It is still available
> in 3.14-rc2.

Oh, I thought I had seen its removal on LWN. My bad.

> > Also you might yourself have some hardware
> > or installation with them
>
> I do still have the SL-5500 that I used back then to develop the
> TinyCC ARM backend, but the only thing I do with it these days
> is to recharge the battery.

Ahah :)

> I suppose that doesn't change your mind, does it?

Why not ? All I was asking is do you want to keep it around or not. I'm fine
with leaving it, it's not a big burden to maintain. It's just that its state
is unknown (it might be not working).

> How about a big fat warning to users of ARM OABI in 0.9.27
> before it is removed once and for all an 0.9.28?

Sure, removing it after 0.9.27 makes sense. And as Christian said it's indeed
a good idea to deprecate it first. I can push a commit to add a warning and we
remove it just after the release in the mob branch. Is that ok for you?

> Best regards,
>
>   Daniel

Cheers,

Thomas