Re: [Tinycc-devel] incorrect/missing license files

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] incorrect/missing license files
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 06:42:09 +0200

Thomas Preud'homme wrote:
If both of you answer yes, could you commit the change Grischka?
Change the FSF header in lib/libtcc1.c?  I'm not sure they would
agree.  However it allows being linked into any program anyway.

Why would they have to agree? They are not author of this file. Only the author need to agree to such change, they are the one who decide what license applies.

And the author is?

    libtcc1.c:148:
    /* most of this code is taken from libgcc2.c from gcc */

However, as Vincent suggested, it would be even better to put both GPL and BSD copyright notice, thus making the file dual licensed. It's not very useful as the BSD could be relicensed to GPL by doing some change but it doesn't hurt and gives more choice. Of course this only applies to old file, new one would just use BSD.

Since libtcc1.c is part of a library (and tcc doesn't have LTO) I'd
rather suggest to put everything not related to float conversion into
its own file each.

--- grischka

Best regards,

Thomas