Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC as default compiler

From: Daniel Glöckner
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC as default compiler
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 08:30:42 +0100

On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 01:19:55AM -0500, stephen Turner wrote:
> I have found tcc and wondered how viable it is as a alternative to gcc and
> clang/llvm for my uses.

What is your motivation to switch away from gcc/clang?
The benefits of TinyCC are smaller and faster compiler but it is
by far less tested and only does minor optimizations.

> Does it use makefiles?

It's a compiler, not a development environment.
Or are you asking if the compiler is built using makefiles?

> can it be a simple drop in replacement for GCC (atleast for c if not c++
> too)

For simple code, yes.

> From what i have read so far its only a c compiler? Or is it being built
> out to support c++ as well?

IIRC there have been some attempts at adding various aspects of
C++ into TinyCC, but none of them have been merged back into the
main repository. There is a recent discussion to use the CFront
C++ to C translator with TinyCC.

Best regards,

  Daniel