Re: [Tinycc-devel] modern c++ compiler written in C

From: u-tcc-uepj
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] modern c++ compiler written in C
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 09:31:58 +0200

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 05:25:48AM +0300, Sergey Korshunoff wrote:
> Hi!
> >> P.S. except for the fun, who really cares about C++ that old?
> > c++ standard is currently evolving *fast*
>
> Yes. Currently it is hard to compile and install g++ 2.95 on modern
> distro (require old glibc for C++ stuff). If I write some my

Fortunately, you can always have old compilers at hand,
because software does not have to be bound to a distro.

[given your test access to Dapty]
you can e.g. run default g++ which happens to be 4.2.3
or choose instead /coda/chalmers.0l.se/1/V/r4P/g++ which is 4.1.2

(or run instead tcc, either the default which is 0.9.25 there or
/coda/chalmers.0l.se/1/v/7dC/tcc which is 0.9.26)

We did not build g++ 2.95 (even though we built gcc 2.95) but it would
be easy to do, not having any dependency on a third party's (like a
Linux distribution) deliberate choice of libraries or tools.

> application with that g++ and then want to start it using today, a
> plenty of work is needed to rewrite that application. There is no such
> thing as LTS gcc versions from FSF.
>
> Solution? May be a small c++ compiler (cfront-1 .. cfront-3) which can
> be considered
> LTS version. Often this one is enough.

Given more legal certainty I'd be happy to host and maintain runnable
cfront for the public, but such thing as legal certainty hardly exists.

Rune