Re: [Tinycc-devel] Building TCC statically

From: Tony Papadimitriou
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Building TCC statically
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 10:24:57 +0200

What I mean is that the default libtcc1.a library could itself also be internal to the tcc.exe file.

If you try to compile any program that either requires none of the system .h files, or the .h files are kept in the projects source tree rather than the compiler’s folder (for versioning purposes), the compilation fails when libtcc1.a cannot be found (as when running tcc.exe from a subdirectory where none of the remaining TCC files exist).

Do you see what I’m saying?  Anyway, this isn’t a biggie, but I really like a single executable.  Think of how SQLite3.exe or FOSSIL.exe work.  One file does all the work. Zero dependencies on outside files.  (The .h files is a different story as it is part of the source chain – even though the default ones could also be part of an internal ‘file system’ – but I’m stretching it too much now.)

Thanks anyway.

Sent: Friday, February 24, 2017 7:36 AM

Tony,

I’m not quite sure to understand. tcc.exe, as it is built from Cygwin+Mafile IS a truly standalone binary.

You can copy this binary alone anywhere  and you’ll be able to run it:

F:\>tcc -v

tcc version 0.9.27 (x86_64 Windows)

However, as any C compiler I know, you also need to get access to all *.h that your program includes.

Of course, when your C files are compiled, you also need to link with C libraries found in .a

This is true for VisualC and gcc for example that have many .h and .lib/.a

C.