Re: [Tinycc-devel] Unify C and asm symbols

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Unify C and asm symbols
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 23:03:09 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017, grischka wrote:

May I suggest however to keep doing the asm-label undef->non-static
conversion on the sym-stack (per file) level, because for one it is
more obvious at what we're doing and why, and also because otherwise
is is not correct for static C symbols, which must be defined in the
same file or are errors otherwise.

I thought about this, but actually I was quite happy to see that asm-tccgen connection go. Then I remembered that GCC works the same (even in pedantic c99 mode):

% cat undef-local.c
static int printf(const char *, ...);
main() { printf("hello\n"); }
% gcc -c undef-local.c
undef-local.c:1:13: warning: ‘printf’ used but never defined
 static int printf(const char *, ...);
% readelf -sW undef-local.o | grep local
     9: 0000000000000000     0 NOTYPE  GLOBAL DEFAULT  UND printf

(sure, there's a warning, but it's not an error). That's no big wonder as GCC uses intermediate assembler files and there undefed locals become global. I think doing the same in TCC is reasonable. Maybe even required, as otherwise the above (questionable) program works with GCC (with a warning) but not TCC.

You could push first the combined final result of the asm related
patches, (possibly including the suggestion from above), as one
single commit (under your authorship).

Credit where credit is due :) Pushed as three separate commits (without the suggestion above), your two with the commit message and authorship extracted from your commits in the mail.

I'd then push the "type redefinition check" patch, including a minor
fix (as attached) that is meant to make sure that
- a transition global->static can never happen
- a transition static->global can happen, but only for symbols
 that (initially) come from asm.

Yeah, that'd be nice. As long as for the C symbols the last transition is still allowed (and static wins, so in ELF symbol terms it's not really a transition). Your patch seems to do the right thing here.

I'd then make one more commit with other small fixes, and then I'd pack the release, say next Sun (17.12.)

How does that sound?

Quite wonderful methinks, would be awesome :)

Ciao,
Michael.