Re: [Tinycc-devel] Consensus: Big change to TCC code, need everyone's ag

From: uso ewin
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Consensus: Big change to TCC code, need everyone's agreement for PR
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 18:46:14 +0200

On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 5:31 AM, Steve Fan <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So I'm working on TinyCC to make it somewhat usable in the modern era,
Here you are doing some kind of Appeal to novelty,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_novelty
I don't see the point of it.

> here's the list of thing I did, all of them are huge changes.
>
> 1. Formatted the code to use 4-space-indent, K&R bracket style
>    -> This is very big, as it breaks all WIP PRs
Well tcc already use 4 space indent, but there is some trailing white-space and
sometime it's a mix of tab and space,
so maybe a start would be to remove trailing white-space and
uniformise indentations,
But I don't know if peoples here will be happy with patches that
change nothing but style.

> 2. No more global code, finishing what Bellard wished to do for a long time
>    -> All states are stuffed in TCCState with their corresponding name
>    -> Yes, it should be fully reentrant now
>    -> Yet also comes with a caveat to using more memory (~80k in sizeof now
> according to MSVC)

I'm a little sceptical about this, I like the way TCC keep it's code simple,
moving everything into TCCState will make a lot more code
without adding much features.

I don't really see the point of reentrancy in TCC, if your goal is
thread safety,
can't you just put all global variables in thread local storages
(which could be enable/disable at compile time) ?

I guess you can share your code on github(or another repository)
so we can judge.

> 3. More C90 code
>    -> Anonymous struct/"struct { ... } foo;" as I separated the global
> states to namespaces
>    ->  !! TinyCC might not be self-bootstrappable after this

I don't understand that,
we are already using unnamed struct/union fields(in Sym in tcc.h),
and tcc already support unnamed union and struct.
BTW Anonymous struct is C11 not C90