tlf-devel

ARRL 160m

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: ARRL 160m
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2019 09:35:12 -0600

Well, first off, the use of cwdaemon and Tlf via Hamlib on the same
serial port (real motherboard port) worked perfectly without a problem
throughout my operating time.  I missed Saturday evening due to having
aggravated my hip yesterday and had to lay down.  I was up around 0830z
this AM and worked a bit over an hour and had to lay down for a while
and then again from about 1140z to 1420z or thereabouts.  The hip is
feeling batter!

My CT changes didn't get used much as I saw I had Alt-1 set for the
exchange I wanted to send in S&P mode so that I didn't have to edit the
F3 message all the time.  Making sure that Enter didn't log an
incomplete contact did prove useful in the wee hours...

ESM mode for running worked perfectly.

Combining Escape to halt the CW message and clearing the input fields is
a double edged sword.  When there is text in the call and exchange
fields and the cursor is in the exchange field and a CW message is in
progress, the first ESC stops the TX and the second clears the exchange
field and the third clears the call field.  This is fine so far as it
goes.  When the call field has characters in it and the cursor is in the
call field and the exchange field is empty, a single ESC stops the TX
AND clears the call field!  That led to several ARGH! moments.  I think
that a better algorithm could be worked out.

Scoring is completely wrong but ARRL 160 is difficult to score.  Tlf
several times counted an incorrect multiplier.  For one I worked a KG4
in VA and Tlf scored it as the KG4 mult when it should have determined
that the VA meant it was conus.  Another time or two I fat fingered an
exchange and removed the text from the mult column but even a :RES
command had no apparent effect.  Also, it seemed as though coming back
from an :EDI command resulted in Tlf forgetting any previous dupes even
though they're marked as zero points.

In the end, the main thing is that the Cabrillo file is correct and ARRL
will take care of the scoring.

Overall, I enjoyed using Tlf again.

73, Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us