Re: tramp (2.0.12); Strange error message; no password prompt

From: Rainer Thiel
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.12); Strange error message; no password prompt
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 19:10:15 +0200

At 22:11 17.08.02, Kai wrote:

 Please try this patch

Please keep in mind I am trying to use Tramp on a Windows machine and ain't fully acquainted with the way Unix works (and the features cygwin offers).

I've tried to try the patch, though, and I think I succeeded (in trying it, that is).

I first tried to insert the patches manually, and corrupted tramp.el to the point the lisp code didn't run anymore when invoked in my .emacs. I then at last realized the patch was probably meant to be used by a programme, and searched for a programme named `patch' in my cygwin. Found that, I packed everything from

RCS file: /cvsroot/tramp/tramp/lisp/tramp.el,v

(first line) to

        tramp-file-name-regexp

(last line) in a file named patch.el, put the file in the same directory as tramp.el, switched to that directory in a shell and executed the command line:

patch tramp.el patch.el

---which appeared to succeed. I am appending the resulting tramp.el (packed in a gzip archive to save upload time) to give you the chance to check whether the result is what you intended.

While I now do get a password-prompt, tramp appears to get trapped in a loop (Endloschleife)---it is asking again and again for the password.

> tramp: Looking for Are you sure you want to continue connecting
> (yes/no)\?
>
> Answering either 'yes' or 'no' has no obvious effect.

Whee.  How can I solve this problem?  The message means that Tramp is
waiting for stuff from the remote end, and it looks to see whether
that stuff contains a specific pattern which happens to look like a
question.

It does NOT mean that Tramp is asking the user a question, it just
looks for a question mark in the remote shell prompt (say).

Do you have some idea how to make it more obvious?

Using quotation marks, perhaps?

As always, many thanks for your help,

Rainer

--
Priv.-Doz. Dr. Rainer Thiel
FB 10, Klass. Phil. - D-35032 Marburg, Germany (EU)