Re: tramp (2.0.14); tramp hangs when storing files >1000 bytes

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.14); tramp hangs when storing files >1000 bytes
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 18:36:52 +0200

Bjørn Nordbø <address@hidden> writes:

> # Decoding region into remote file
> /multi:ssh:address@hidden:ssh:address@hidden:/home/b/bn/projects/cystd/Sex.rb...
> $ uudecode -p >/home/b/bn/projects/cystd/Sex.rb <<'EOF'
> # Sending data to remote host...
> [[...lots.of.uuencoded.stuff.omitted...]]
> # Sending end of data token...
> $ EOF
> # Waiting for remote host to process data...

If you open a connection to the remote host in the same way that
Tramp opens a connection, and then you type the same commands that
Tramp sends, what happens?

In particular, it would involve doing

    uudecode -p >/some/remote/file/name <<'EOF'

And then sending the whole uuencoded shebang (which you can copy and
paste from the *debug tramp/foo* buffer), and then

    EOF

I'm guessing that Tramp is sending the data too fast, but I'm not
sure.  Therefore, if you want to do the same, then you have to
arrange for some way to insert the data into the shell really fast.

It's also not clear to me how Tramp can circumvent this.  Of course,
Tramp could send the data in pieces and wait a bit after each piece.
But how long should it wait?

kai