Re: 2.0.26 released

From: Klaus-Georg Adams
Subject: Re: 2.0.26 released
Date: 02 Dec 2002 10:16:19 +0100

Hi,

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> This version is almost exclusively composed of changes by Michael
> Albinus.  Great work, Michael!
>
> This version supports `plugins' for foreign completion methods, so to
> speak.  The previous special-casing for Ange-FTP was removed and is
> now factored out into its own file.
>
> A new plugin for using smbclient has been added.  This means you can
> use Tramp to access remote SMB servers -- isn't that cool?  (I don't
> have an SMB server to access, but I think it's cool.)

this is definitely cool and it works like a charm. It took some
fiddling with the filename syntax (no documentation yet...) but I got
it to run with this:

C-x f /smb:<DOMAIN>\<LOGIN>@<HOST>:/<SHARE> RET

where <DOMAIN>, <LOGIN>, <HOST> and <SHARE> are substituted with
sensible values... (this is on GNU emacs 21.1.1).

I was just wondering if it would be possible to somehow preset
<DOMAIN> and <LOGIN> to default values to save some typing (apart from
using the environment)...

On a related note: is it possible to open a file with a literal $ sign
in the name? In an effort of good will emacs tries to substitute an
environment variable for the $ and fails miserably. The filename in
question is the c$ share on a windows host:

C-x f /smb:<DOMAIN>\<LOGIN>@<HOST>:/c$ RET

The same thing applies in plain emacs on windows when using the UNC
syntax to open the same directory (//<HOST>/c$).

Keep up the good work!

--
Regards, kga