Re: tramp (2.0.28); tramp-auto-save-directory broken (at least in XEmacs

From: Ken Neighbors
Subject: Re: tramp (2.0.28); tramp-auto-save-directory broken (at least in XEmacs); patch included
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 11:34:07 -0800

Kai Großjohann writes:
> This fix won't work for Emacs since its make-auto-save-file-name
> function does not accept arguments.

Always a catch :-(

> Recent versions of Emacs have their own mechanism for redirecting
> auto-save files elsewhere: there is a variable
> auto-save-file-name-transforms which is applied to the filename.  So
> the Tramp method isn't really needed for new Emacsen, only for old
> Emacsen.
>
> Does XEmacs have a similar mechanism?
>
> If so, then it might be best to disable the Tramp auto-save machinery
> altogether.

Yes, upon further investigation, XEmacs does have a mechanism for
redirecting auto-save files elsewhere.  However, it seems to be an
all-or-none feature (with an exception for "efs").  Perhaps it would
be possible to set up a hook or somesuch so that only tramp files were
auto-saved in a separate directory, but I think I will go ahead and
set auto-save-directory for all auto-saves.  Maybe I will end up
liking all auto-saves in the same directory anyway.  Here is some
relevant documentation from XEmacs auto-save.el:

;; If you want to autosave in the fixed directory /tmp/USER-autosave/
;; (setq auto-save-directory
;;       (concat "/tmp/" (user-login-name) "-autosave/"))

;; If you don't want to save in /tmp (e.g., because it is swap
;; mounted) but rather in ~/.autosave/
;;   (setq auto-save-directory (expand-file-name "~/.autosave/"))

;; If you want to save each file in its own directory (the default)
;;   (setq auto-save-directory nil)
;; You still can take advantage of autosaving efs remote files
;; in a fixed local directory, `auto-save-directory-fallback' will
;; be used.