Re: Two weirdnesses (bugs ?) in tramp 2.0.34

From: Gilbert Grosdidier
Subject: Re: Two weirdnesses (bugs ?) in tramp 2.0.34
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 18:55:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Kai Großjohann wrote:

> Gilbert Grosdidier <address@hidden> writes:

> >> Does the time depend on the file size, or is it (more or less) the
> >> same for all files?  (If a twice-as-large file also takes twice as
>
> Do you use an inline method such as ssh or an out of band method such
> as scp or rsync?  If transfer of file contents is slow via scp/rsync,

gg= I use ssh (the filename syntax is:
/[ssh/address@hidden/home/grodid/somefile).
On the remote node, there are 2 processes which remain always open,
one from sshd, and a child, which is /bin/ssh, and they are definitely related
to the Xemacs/tramp connection.

> then you might wish to try the corresponding inline method; I guess
> it will be quite a bit faster for small files.  (Whenever you
> transfer a file via scp, it has to do the ssh connection-setup
> handshake, which takes a while.)
>
> >> long, we can hypothesize that the problem could be the transfer of
> >> the file contents; otherwise we need to look somewhere else.)
> >>
> >> Tramp is not /that/ slow for me.
> >>
> >> It takes a while to open a connection, but presumably the connection
> >> is already open when you are saving...
> >
> > gg= IMHO, the connection is always already open when achieving a save:
> > I usually open a Xemacs session, then fetch a remote file,
> > edit and save several times over many hours ... Don't know what the exact
> > duty cycle of tramp is: is it re-opening a connection after some delay
> > of "non-activity" ?
>
> Tramp opens a connection using ssh or rsh or whatever, and then tries
> to use the shell if possible.  But sometimes the remote host hangs up
> after some period of inactivity.  You can try this yourself: log in
> to the remote host manually, from outside Emacs, then see if the
> connection is terminated after a while if you don't use it.

gg= No, obviously, there is NO hang up from the remote node,
neither for a usual connection, nor for the tramp connection.

> I guess 30 or 60 minutes would be a reasonable time for the
> idle-logout.  But it depends on the admin of the remote host.

gg= See above.

> I guess this was obvious, but Tramp looks to see if the connection is
> still open.  If it is, the old connection is reused.  If the
> connection is closed, then Tramp opens another one, perhaps asking
> you for a password.

gg= No, it cannot be asking for a pwd, since I use an ssh-agent.

 Since there is no obvious culprit which comes to your mind, do you have any
protocol to suggest to me to try to trace what happens during one of these
saving sequences ?

 Thanks,          Gilbert.

--
  Gilbert Grosdidier                 address@hidden