Re: Multi-hop syntax on XEmacs?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Multi-hop syntax on XEmacs?
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:40:59 +0200

Skip Montanaro <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to use a multi-hop sequence in XEmacs.  I must have muffed
> something.  Here's what I tried:
>
>     /[multi:rsync:manatee.mojam.com:su:address@hidden/etc/mail/sendmail.mc
>
> It tells me it's trying to connect to "[multi" via ftp.  Given that this
>
>     /[rsync/manatee.mojam.com]/etc/mail/sendmail.mc
>
> works I then tried
>
>     /[multi/rsync/manatee.mojam.com/su/address@hidden/etc/mail/sendmail.mc
>
> and
>
>     /[multi/rsync:address@hidden/su:address@hidden/etc/mail/sendmail.mc
>
> but they also failed.

The Info for XEmacs says

   /[multi/rsh:address@hidden/telnet:address@hidden/path/to.file

rsync doesn't belong to multi hop methods; that's why your last
example might have failed.

See
<http://www.nongnu.org/tramp/tramp-xemacs.html#Multi-hop%20filename%20syntax>

> The Multi-hop filename conventions node in the Info system reads:
>
>        The syntax of multi-hop file names is necessarily slightly different
>     than the syntax of other TRAMP file names.  Here's an example multi-hop
>     file name, first in Emacs syntax and then in XEmacs syntax:
>
> It then displays the Emacs example:
>
>      /multi:rsh:address@hidden:telnet:address@hidden:/path/to.file
>
> but never shows an XEmacs example.  See
>
>     http://www.xemacs.org/Documentation/packages/html/tramp_5.html
>
> for the full info node.  A google search for "tramp multi-hop xemacs" didn't
> yield any concrete examples either.

The XEmacs maintainers might change it next time to the XEmacs version
of the manual.