Re: Tramp counterparts for compile and GUD

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: Tramp counterparts for compile and GUD
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:31:33 +0000

Isak Johnsson <address@hidden> writes:

> After saving comes compiling (remotely from Emacs). I've used ssh and
> make as the make command. It works, but next-error can't find the
> source files. Do you have any ideas or solutions for this?

Hm.  It would be really good if closer integration was possible.  It
doesn't make sense to open a new connection for every make invocation.

There is already tramp-compile in tramp-util.el but it suffers from
the problem that the compilation proceeds in the foreground.

It seems that having Tramp open multiple connections to a remote host
is useful in many cases.  The recently discussed integration with
Ange-FTP in multi-hop methods could also benefit from it.  To do this,
Tramp would have to be able to stash the passwords somewhere.  I'm
hesitating to do this, but maybe there is a fairly secure way that
Tramp could just use?

Then a buffer management mechanism is needed (so that one knows which
buffers for which connections belong together) and then things could
proceed fairly nicely.  In the beginning, Tramp could open a new
connection for each bg command, but later on, connection pooling could
be implemented.

I thought about multiplexing the output of several shell commands into
a single shell connection, but that doesn't really work.  Or does
somebody have an idea about this?

Kai