Re: Invalid format character: ?m

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Invalid format character: ?m
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 21:38:22 +0100

Tim Connors <address@hidden> writes:

> A google search shows this has affected some other Xemacs user before,
> more than a year ago, but a fix had made it into CVS. I notice that things
> like (format-spec x `((?u . ,user)))) are still there in slightly differnt
> forms, so I see no why this is happening again.
>
> BTW, (locate-library format-spec) is returning the version from tramp CVS.
>
> So the trace from CVS HEAD is shown below:
>
> Signaling: (error "Invalid format character: ?m")

This happens if you have some Lisp files compiled with Emacs, but you
use XEmacs. There are subtle differences in handling characters.

In the Tramp directory, you might do the following:

   make clean
   configure --with-xemacs
   make

I'll play a little bit around with Makefile.in, in order to handle
such situations more robust in the future.